Pages

Search this blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mixed Halwa

with Ata (Wheat Flour), Roasted Almond powder & Roasted Lotus Seed powder


Catering to the taste and health needs of a five and half year old and a one year old with a common dish is not only tough but quite an uphill task. But makes life a trifle easier for me! ;)
On the few occasions I do manage and satisfy both the elder's tastebuds and the younger's nutrition needs, I cant help but pat myself on the back.

This halwa is one such a dish.

Setting out to make suji halwa, realised that the dampness due to incessant rains had gotten the better of me, and the suji looked far from edible.

I had just 15 minutes to leave for office before which I had to make the-after-school-evening-tiffin for AD (my elder daughter).

So this was the substitute....

Ingredients :

Wheat flour (Ata) - 1/2 cup
Roasted and powdered Almond - 1/2 cup
Roasted and powdered puffed Lotus Seeds (Phool Makhana)  - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 3-4 tbsp
Milk - 1/2 litre
Green Cardamon - 3-4
Sugar - 1/2 cup or to taste

Procedure :
1. Heat ghee in a kadai and throw in the green cardamoms
2. Add the Ata and roast on medium heat vigorously. Take care that the ata does not burn
3. After the raw smell of Ata is eliminated, add the roasted-powdered almond & lotus seeds. Keep on stirring  on medium to high heat.
4. Add sugar and continue stirring till nicely browned but NOT burnt
5. Add the milk slowly and keep stirring to ensure lumps are not formed.
6. Cook till the consistency is semi solid & gooey i.e upma/halwa like!!

serve warm...


Note : I have also made this by substituting the Ata with Ragi flour & suji.

This recipe is being sent to 'Fast & Quick Healthy Dishes - Guest hosted by Kalpana Sareesh of Life with Spices, on behalf of Priya of Priya's Versatile Recipes

25 comments:

Sharmila said...

Amar Rajasthani shoshur barite first paa diye eyi halwa amake khete hoyechilo. Ami mishti khete bhalobashina boleyi hoyeto amar jonne ekta puro baati khawa torture chilo! Ekhon obosshoyi bor er jonne banate shikhe giyechi. :-)

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Sharmila - authentic rajasthani halwa te ar ki ki dae?

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Sharmistha
Kemon achho? One pat from me too..what is this lotus seed powder? I am not being able to visit blogs, the Face Book is the culprit, dont blame me..I am going to get rid of FB ASAP..will try the awesome chicken recipe as soon as I am back from Srinagar and get back to my good old blogs.
Bhalo theko

Sharmistha Guha said...

@UG-da....lotus seed is phool makhana ..very common in N.India. Enjoy in Srinagar..

Kalyan said...

Halwa is one of my favourites anytime...just looks delicious and yummy.

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Sharmistha
Kemon achho? dekh-te elam notun kono recipe post korechho kina...Aj kal FB -r palla-e poD-e sab somoe nasto hochhe,,,chhede de ma kende bachi abastha !!!
Hope you are now fully geared for the puja !! Some Dal lake photos are there for you at my blog ...
Bhalo theko tomra sabai ...

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

gwl said...

Yummy..........
giftwithlove.com

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Hummm !! Deshe phir-e bhablam tomar ranna PoDbo...ekhon dekhchhi ranna banna bando abar!!!
Happy New year
Bhalo theko

Unknown said...

classic…
picturebite.com

Unknown said...

Mixed halwa looks delicious.

Cuisine Delights
My First Event - "COLOURFUL HOLI".

shirin goel said...

Interesting…
mumbaiflowerplaza.com

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting…
bangalorewithlove.com

Mario said...

Halwa is one of my favourites and it looks delicious and yummy. I have to make this again! Kitchen here I come.

hyd said...

This is really interesting…
hyderabadonnet.com

Gurgaonflowerplaza said...

This is really interesting….Words to be read and digested…..It is so amazing and good…lovely blog….
Gurgaonflowerplaza.com

Santanu said...

What a presentation of pictures.Really liked them.

Thanks
Santanu & Manidipa
http://manidipa-kitchen.blogspot.in

Unknown said...

Loved the blog....
http://www.gujaratonnet.com

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

Very nice blog..Thanks for the add..Glad to follow you back..:-)

tom@morethanpepper said...

funniest blog title in awhile

Unknown said...

Brilliant stuff!
puneonnet.com

Unknown said...

Well, I guess the dish has already become a hit ......... your creativity is genuine and amazing..... love it....
Conference Centre Manchester

sp said...

Lovely…
saadepunjab.com

Sugar Lane said...

Hi!
I’ve just found your lovely blog, everything looks delicious!
I’d love you to take a look at mine and let me know what you think ;)
Kisses from Spain,
S

Bali Hotels said...

Great cookers